Kaiser Permanente’s first hospital changes and grows
posted on June 24, 2014
Vintage photos chronicle evolution
of Oakland Medical Center campus
Click on any image to see a slideshow.
To close the slideshow and return to this page, click on “X” in upper
left of slideshow page.
Short link to this page: http://bit.ly/VlvgvE
Original Fabiola charity hospital, circa 1895.
Nurses at original Fabiola charity hospital, circa 1920
View of the old Fabiola maternity wing that was to become Kaiser Permanente’s first Oakland hospital.
Fabiola charity hospital, before Permanente Foundation purchase and initial remodel, early 1942. Bed count – 70. The formal opening ceremony was August 21, 1942.
Permanente Foundation’s Oakland hospital after the expansion to 124 beds in 1943.
The Permanente Foundation Hospital, Oakland; architectural drawings showing first and second expansions, May 1944
Oakland hospital showing first and second expansions, circa 1944
The Permanente Foundation Hospital, Oakland, California; architectural drawings, June 1944
Oakland Medical Center – Howe Street pediatric wing addition, 1960
‘Facelifting’ remodel of original Fabiola (Permanente Foundation) hospital, 1961
Oakland hospital, 1961, with new 1960 Pediatrics wing on Howe Street
Tower construction on top of existing Oakland hospital, 1969
Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center expansion, January 1970
Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center tower under construction, circa 1970. The shopping mall in the foreground is the site of the new hospital.
Helicopter lifting HVAC machinery to rooftop of new Oakland hospital, 1971
Oakland Medical Center, circa 1972
Fabiola Medical Office Building, named for old Fabiola charity hospital, 1993
Find out about the new Oakland Medical Center to open July 1.